“The school of the country”— School history exhibition
In the minutes of the city council, the College is often recorded as “our school” or “Schola Nostra”. Even its internal regulations were issued with the chief constable’s signature. As early as 1538, the institution already functioned in a protestant spirit, and very soon became the “seed-plot” of the Reformed Church. Along the centuries, it has attracted students miles away, from 40 different counties. The proportion of locals in the senior classes in general did not even reach 15 percent. While the senior classes of the partner schools trained only a few dozens of students, Debrecen had more than 2000 college students. Of these, every year, 60-70 rectors were sent out to the 584 affiliated schools, even to the most remote regions of the country, thus accomplishing a truly nationwide task.